Friday, May 18, 2018

A love ----- reunited

Welcome to stitching in this wild, free new generation! I loved counted cross-stitch in the 80's and 90's. I have/had some projects in progress, now  called WIPS (works in progress), in my former home. I guess I just forgot to bring them with me plus I was not aware that stitchers had their own area of YouTube called FlossTube. Stitchwork is bigger and better than ever, a whole lovely cult of women who seem kind, happy, and so talented.

Lizzie Kate chart. 14 count lambswool Aida
I purchase from 123Stitch.com

I have invested in several new charts (that's the newer, savvy word for patterns) and some delicious bags and flosses. I've learned that when a  stitcher takes a chart and gets the floss ready to work on it, she puts the whole thing in a bag (Many use ziplock.) That process is called "kitting up" a project.

I have discovered stitching is taking a little practice. It is a skill I have to work at again, but practice makes perfect. We shall see improvement. I have ordered a project light and some magnifiers. Before I say it is my age, I see young girls using those on their projects and reporting on podcasts. Truthfully,  however, they are stitching 40-count linen. (I am not yet.)

I have my first finish. It is called a FFO (fully finished object). There again the years have changed and everything isn't made to be framed. Some in the the FlossTube community calls the alternative method "Priscilla-fying" after a very creative stitcher, Priscilla Blain.  That is an active link to her great blog! I made my first monthly project to change out. That's another new plus, everyone seems to have seasonal bits and bobs to rotate with the seasons. I am ALL about the seasons.



This was mounted on sticky board. Both the picture and the daisy/blue gingham bow have magnets so I can move them here and there.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, impressed - it is a finished project! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have a wonderful day. I really love to read your comments.